[Rhodes22-list] Considering a Recycled R22

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Nov 21 16:18:01 EST 2006

Hi Nan,

Welcome to the R22 list.  The conversations here touch on nearly
everything - it is similar to an old style pub, in terms of discussion,
libations are up to you.

The most important thing that you can add to your list of "necessary items"
is a boating safety course - for you if not already a sailor and for the
kids.  Sailing lessons are secondary, although a good idea.

As far as the boat goes, it depends a lot on the type of sailing you want to
do.  Here are some "basics":

1.    Trailer:
    If you are going to haul & provide winter storage for the boat yourself
or plan to visit other
    waterways, a trailer is invaluable.  If you plan to use a marina to
service the boat, you can
    save a fair amount by omitting the trailer.

2.    Marine head vs. porta-potty:
    You decide.  I have managed for many years with a simple porta-potty,
especially with older kids.
    The standup head hatch seems to be worthwhile, especially with young
men.

3.    Ports:
    I think that all ports should open for "flow-thru" ventilation, a must
for those humid days
    Don't forget screens and covers.

4.     Anchors:
    I prefer 2 fluke-style anchors, one at the bow pulpit and one on the
stern rail.
    More line than you think you need should be carried.  Don't forget to
attach the end!

5.    VHF radio:
    A VHF w/mast antenna is your way to reach the CG
    Do not rely on cell phones in emergencies.
    A Windex should be fitted to the top of the mast near the antenna.
    Nixaliite bird control should also be added to the top of the mast to
deter comorants
    from making your boat theirs when at anchor.

6.    Life-lines:
    Life-lines are great for young kids on deck (not recommended while under
sail)
    and to hang towels, otherwise, they get in my way.

7.    Compas and / or GPS:
    A simple Ritchie sailboat mount compass is a necessity with night
lighting to help the
    inexperienced helmsman (read guest or overactive youth) stay on tack,
especially
    while returning at night - shore lights can confuse locations.  A GPS is
fun to play
    with but basically not needed for most LIS sails with the exception of
modern
    regatta races that require waypoint times.

8.    Depth finder:
    The R22 drafts so little that a depth finder is not required - mine was
acquired as a gift.
    It sat for 3 years waiting for me to make a hole in the boat for it,
something that I do
    not like to do.  Finally, I tried "shooting through the hull" (no hole)
in the front of the
    Lazarette and found that it was reasonably accurate.  Great toy for
people to watch
    but virtually useless on a craft that drafts 2 feet with a kick up
rudder and centerboard.

9.    IMF - Main furler:
    Although I do not own IMF, I would list it as a very important item to
increase sailing enjoyment,
    especially for single-handed sailing.  I step the mast (w/o IMF) with
one helper - no crane.

10.    Tiller extension / tiller tamer:
    Necessary items, inexpensive, can be added later.

11.    Engine / mount / lift:
    A solid engine, either 2 or 4 cycle, 9.9 hp for LIS.  Depending on your
strength and abilities,
    you may want to look at electric lift, electric start and remote
control.  When I was younger,
    lifting and starting was simple.  Now, I still use manual items but
require that the engine start
    on the first or second pull - just need to perform religious maintenance
and provide fresh fuel.

12.    Captain's chairs:
    They look neat but I have never had the pleasure - I usually hike out on
the stern rail, sheet
    and tiller extension in hand for those fast sailing afternoon sails.

13.    Solar charger / second battery:
    I think that a solar charging array and a second battery is crucial if
you will be spending many
    evenings on the boat.  You don't worry about power and can really enjoy
the experience with
    batteries that are always fully charged.  Of course, you need to have a
really good sound system
    to go with the power system.  A cabin fan is real nice in the humid
summer days & eves.

14.    Swim ladder:
    Get a real good solid swim ladder either from Stan or elsewhere.  The
ability to use the boat
    as a swim platform when the wind dies is great, especially for teens.
Do not get a ladder that
    crushes toes!

15.    Pop top enclosure / Boom room:
    We made our own (they weren't available from GB).  For the days, it is
important to provide
    some shade in the form of a bimini or something.  For the nights, all we
ever used was mosquito
    netting - if it rained, we were in trouble.  More importantly, I
recommend getting (or making) fitted
    cushions for the cockpit to enhance your and your guests' comfort.  A
set to bridge the center
    walkway is great to convert the entire cockpit to a bed for sleeping out
under the stars is really nice.

I am sorry to have run on for so long but after 25 years on a R22 you have a
few opinions.  Still, I am sure that I left out something important.  BTW,
we are across the sound from you on the north shore of LI.  Good luck in
your choices.  The R22 is still the best boat in this and several larger
categories.  It stands the test of time.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)

From: "Nan Bailey" <nan at npbailey.com> Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 10:55
AM