[Rhodes22-list] Considering a Recycled R22

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Tue Nov 21 16:23:46 EST 2006

Nan,

Welcome to the Rhodes list.  The "must-haves" are pretty basic and the rest
can be added later if you want.  Except the captain's seats--I don't put
them in the must have category but you need to make that decision now since
that determines what kind of stern pulpit to install.  Of course the usual
must haves are an anchor, PFDs, a boat hook, tool kit, binoculars,
flashlights, and other such equipment but you can pick those up as you go.
Marine head, porta-potty or 5-gallon bucket?  All have their pros and
cons--your call.  I think the IMF is a must have and therefore so is the
mast crane.  A trailer is not a must have except that the R22's
trailerability is one of its strong points and I recommend getting one so
you can use the boat to its fullest.  It's also a good selling point if/when
you sell the boat.  On the other hand, you have other R22 owners with
trailers in your area and maybe you could work something out together.

As for electronics, keep it as simple as you can.  A VHF radio is a must in
case of emergency but that's all I have on my boat.  I have a compass
mounted on a board that fits in the companionway but I rarely use it and
it's usually stored away.  Unless you're planning on doing a lot of night
navigation or sailing around in fog, you don't need it.  However, a simple
hand-held (boy scout type) compass is a good, inexpensive accessory.  A
depth finder is handy for anchoring so you know how much scope to let out
but I use a simple sounding line for that.

Shelter--Pop-top-enclosure, bimini and the boom room?  I can't tell you how
much I love the PTE.  Ours gets used a lot.  If you plan to do any
overnights, I'd put this in the must have category.  I also have a large,
splendid boom room that encloses the entire cockpit and cabin, but a
standardized model has yet to be produced for the R22 so it's a custom job.
Start with the PTE and think about a boom room later.  Since you're on LIS
and not down in the sweltering heat of the south, you probably don't need a
bimini but again, it can be added later if you want.

Good luck,

Slim