[Rhodes22-list] Life Lines

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 14:27:41 EST 2006

Nan, I also have the stainless life rails (it may have been my boat that Dan
saw ready to ship in April).  I would get them again if I had to do it
over.  I personally like the look, feel they add a nice dimension.  They're
handy to tie off fenders when tied to a higher dock.  My 81-year-old
mother-in-law likes to hold onto them when stepping into the boat from the
dock.  When walking forward they provide an added handhold and provide a
feeling of security.  If something tips the boat hard and I'm not hanging
on, I think I'm likely to fall in with or without the rails.

Dave B

On 11/22/06, Slim <salm at mn.rr.com> wrote:

> Wow, Dan, what a nice looking boat!  The life rails look great because
> they
> so nicely echo the lines of the cabin and they look like they belong
> there.
> Some have suggested that they're a hazard because they could trip you at
> the
> knees.  I don't agree with that at all.  If your body is moving in that
> direction and you're not holding on to something, you're going to fall off
> the boat, rails or not.  The rails can only help, not hurt, especially
> with
> kids.  And unlike another I've seen, there's no impediment to boarding
> into
> the cockpit or the bow.  I like 'em.
>
> Slim
>
> On 11/22/06 12:07 PM, "daniel snyder" <danielsnyder at adelphia.net> wrote:
>
> > Nan, our 06 Rhodes was delivered in May.  When my wife and I were in
> Edenton
> > in April going over some final items with Stan she happened to spot one
> of
> > his new boats getting ready to be delivered.  It had the life rails (not
> > life lines) and immediately felt these would be a good addition to
> support
> > moving to and from the bow.  So we ordered them and have said to
> ourselves
> > frequently that we're glad we did.  They provide a very solid hand hold
> as I
> > race to the bow with the boat hook to snag my mooring line...I sail
> single
> > handed 99% of the time.  They are also handy with the kids.  They are a
> real
> > handy spot to hang a fender from also.  Personally, I kind of like the
> looks
> > of them on the boat.  Others on the list will say they aren't necessary
> and
> > for the most part, they're right.  It was sort of a last minute splurge
> but
> > I'm very happy with them.  They show up a bit in the attached
> photo.  Dan in
> > NH

David Bradley
+1.206.225.7793