[Rhodes22-list] Wind Indicators

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Fri Nov 24 09:14:49 EST 2006

Slim wrote:
> I prefer an 8" length of cassette tape tied to the shroud.  Any old
> 30-minute tape is a lifetime supply.  I use the Quit-Smoking tape since it
> didn't work.  But please resist the temptation to use Bob Dylan's "Blowin'
> In The Wind."

I'm with you, Slim.  I've used indicators and both
yarn and tape, and now carry the remains of an old
casette.

As I do a lot of trailering, the clip-on indicators
were often forgotten in the rush to water, and
neglected thereafter in the heat of the moment.
Finally, when they went over the side or were
forgotten in a late-night take-down process and
wound up as trash on the road, my Scotch ancestry
took me to task for my carelessness and spendy ways.

So I raided the admiral's sewing kit and stole some
yarn.  Yarn stays in place on the shroud pretty well,
but when it gets wet, it wraps around the shroud in
a love embrace, takes a while to dry out, and if
it gets doused with salt water, it gets stiff.  And
it shreds in a strong wind, wearing down to a hint
of its former streaming glory.

As I had a moderate supply of 0.25" reel-to-reel
tape from my ancient air checks, I tried that out,
but it was both too heavy to flutter well and
(being well aged) too brittle to stand up well.

So a cassette that had had the gaul to wrap itself
around the capstan now periodically offers its guts
as indicators.  The work, they are free, and they
are readily available.

What's not to like?

/Robert Skinner