[Rhodes22-list] Mayday

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Nov 25 15:30:34 EST 2006

Thanks, Rummy,

That's what I used to think, too.

But the Coast Guard keeps sending out regulations, and its hard to know
what's current, so I just Googled it.

The first hit is a Coast Guard site.  It says that the FCC gave the
Coast Guard Channel 9 for emergency purposes, but that the Coast Guard
is unable to use it, because while it can listen, it can't send out
information generally over channel 9:

"Since the Coast Guard generally does not have the capability of
announcing an urgent marine information broadcast or weather warning on
channel 9, use of channel 9 is optional.   We recommend boaters normally
keep tuned to and use channel 16 in those waters unless otherwise
notified by the Coast Guard."

The second hit said:

"Even though you may not be required to carry a VHF radio, if you do
(and you should) you must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHz)
whenever the radio is operating and not being used to communicate. You
may alternatively maintain a watch on VHF channel 9 (156.450 MHz), the
boater calling channel. Note however that urgent marine information
broadcasts, such as storm warnings, are announced on channel 9 only in
First CG District waters (northern New Jersey, New York and New England).

Recently a charter boat whose radio was not tuned to the proper channel
missed a severe storm warning. By the time the captain learned of the
storm, it was too late to return to shore. The ship sank and a couple of
persons died. A yacht in trouble off the west coast of Mexico and far
from help saw a passenger ship. What should have been a quick rescue
almost turned to disaster when the passenger ship (improperly) had its
radio off. "

and

"Let me start by talking about the major channels that recreational
boaters should be familiar with. The Federal Communications Commission
has established VHF-FM channel 9 as a supplementary calling channel for
noncommercial vessels (recreational boaters). A ship or shore unit
wishing to call a boater would do so on channel 9, and anyone (boaters
included) wishing to call a commercial ship or shore activity would
continue to do so on channel 16. Recreational boaters may continue to
call the Coast Guard and any commercial facility on channel 16.

"The purpose of the FCC regulation is to relieve congestion on VHF
channel 16, the distress, safety and calling frequency. FCC regulations
require boaters having VHF radios to maintain a watch on either VHF
channel 9 or channel 16, whenever the radio is turned on and not
communicating with another station.

*"Warning: *The Coast Guard announces urgent marine information
broadcasts and storm warnings on channel 9 in the First Coast Guard
District only (waters off the coast of northern New Jersey, New York,
and New England). For that reason, we strongly urge boaters to use
channel 9 in these waters. Use of channel 9 in other waters is optional,
and we recommend boaters keep tuned to and use channel 16 in those
waters unless otherwise notified by the Coast Guard.

"Channels 9 and 16 are used for "hailing" (calling another vessel) only.
Once you have contacted a vessel you should move your conversation to a
"working channel". That is, one designated as "non-commercial" such as
channel 68."

and

*"Updates:*
Within the past few years channel 9 was also designated to be used as a
hailing frequency in addition to channel 16 (which is both hailing and
distress). However, in the First Coast Guard District only (waters off
the coast of northern New Jersey, New York, and New England), the Coast
Guard announces urgent marine information broadcasts and storm warnings
on channel 9.

As of July 1, 2000, the Ninth Coast Guard District (Great Lakes Region)
has mandated that US recreational boaters use channel 9 only as a
hailing frequency and they are not to hail on channel 16. This is due to
the increase in radio traffic on channel 16. Emergencies, however, are
still reported on channel 16."

However, the fifth hit says:

*"First Coast Guard District Special Note
*Effective on May 25, 2001 shore units located within the First Coast
Guard District will no longer make preliminary announcements on channel
9 (156.450 MHZ) VHF-FM. Mariners should use channel 16 (156.8 MHZ) to
establish VHF-FM communications with Coast Guard District shore units.
Mariners are encouraged to utilize channel 9 for non-emergency traffic
and to request radio checks with other mariners. Channel 16 is reserved
for hailing and distress communications only.  LNM 16/01 (CGD1)"

Need I say more?

BTW a 1992 Coast Guard regulation said that if larger boats had DSC
radios they were no longer obligated to listen to channel 16.

Cell phones used to be the constant, but no more.  Only in Alaska
according to Jim's post.

I can't sort through all this stuff sitting at home on my cable modem
attached computer.  What's going to happen in a real emergency on my
boat?  I think 911 on a cell phone remains my first choice for this
region, and Channel 16 on my marine radio is my second choice.  I'll
listen to Channel 16 for a while next summer.

If people think they can rely on marine radios for emergency purposes, I
think they should check them out in non-emergencies and establish
procedures.

Rummy, do you think Channel 9 is better for your region?

Bill Effros