[Rhodes22-list] Thanksgiving sailing

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 28 14:54:51 EST 2006

Thanks Slim --- forgot to mention I typically single-hand when racing.  Good suggestion but probably would need to start using some crew if I were to try re-rigging between course changes.
     Yes I agree that a slight back-wind of the genoa helps carry it through to leeward -- if the sheets don't snag on the way.
  Rex

Slim <salm at mn.rr.com> wrote:
  Rex,

I wouldn't try the "double sheet" thing especially if you've been having
trouble getting the big 175 to come across without snagging on something.
When tacking, I've found that I have to hold the jib sheet until I've
crossed through the eye and let the wind fill up the jib before I let loose.
That usually works unless it's really light air. Another solution is to
simply roll up the jib and pull it back out after you're about. This can be
done pretty fast with experienced crew. It's definitely faster than having
a sheet hooked on the bow cleat and someone has to go forward. Also with a
little practice you can re-rig the sheets quickly and easily. If you're on
a starboard tack, re-rig the starboard (slack) sheet first. Then when you
come about re-rig the other side. You might be sailing with your pop top
down but if not, just FYI, a man of average height can reach the sheets from
inside the cabin rather than going forward topside.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Slim