[Rhodes22-list] Thanksgiving sailing

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 29 11:50:00 EST 2006

Wally:
       I agree with what you say about a furled 175 inside the shrouds.  The point of my earlier post was to learn if there was a way to have my cake and eat it too ---- rigged in advance to use genoa outside of outer shrouds on the runs but reduce its area and be prepared without re-rigging to have a 100%--130% inside the outside shrouds when beating.
       Yes I have an extension and usually steer from the windward rail when beating --- I have found that, by using the leeward winch only as a block and running the jib sheet across the cockpit to the windward winch, I can control and adjust the genoa shape much better and efficiently while continuing to keep the proper weight distribution on the windward side of the boat.  When single-handing---I find the jib sheet stretched across the cockpit from winch to winch is not a problem.
       Your vang suggestion intrigues me.  With the IMF and the poptop configuration, I'm curious where you attached the vang ends to the mast and boom without interfering with the use of the poptop.   Someone mentioned some modification of the standard traveler that might make it easier to handle.  I use it and find it cumbersome (at least single-handed) to either (1) maintain a steady helm, keep the weight on the windward side, and reach across the stern to release the traveler immediately after the change of course --- or (2)  ease the mainsheet and loosen the traveler (but losing the advantage of the traveler) before the tack so its free to adjust after the tack.   I've thought of mounting a block on the end of the traveler bar so the line could wrap around the end but be held by a cleat of some type on the opposite end but the traveler track---but it doesn't seem shaped nor configured to permit a practical implementation of that idea.
Rex

TN Rhodey <tnrhodey at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Rex,

I race single handed as well. If you plan ahead rerouting jib sheets is not
a big deal. I don't race with pop-top up. I can secure tiller and walk
forward to make the change in a few seconds. I am not sure that you really
want a 175 inside the shrouds unless conditions require furling anyway. In
that case sheeting inside provides better angles and would be worth
rerouting sheets. I would think furling the 175 just so you can sheet inside
shrouds would actually slow you down overall. Also add a vang. Proper use of
vang and traveler will help you sail flatter in windier conditions. The
biggest thing I missed with crew was the added rail weight. Also do you have
a tiller extension? Most times when racing solo I am sitting forward in the
cockpit...sometimes on the bench seat and sometimes on the rail.

Wally