[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Philip, Rex - Shroud or Stay Covering #2

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 30 19:28:32 EST 2006

Ed:
      Most races are on Sunday afternoon--you can join us.
  Rex

Tootle <ekroposki at charter.net> wrote:

Philip:

Two might work. I used three to have three sizes. Bottom to go over
chain plate attaching point, middle to go over turnbuckle and smallest to
cover wire. The slick plastic was used because it was smallest tubing
available that slipped over swagged on screw part of turnbuckle. That fact
that it was also slick was added benefit to meet Stan's admonition about
people ruining sails from chaffing by dragging over wire and fittings.

Also there are teflon washers between layers to facilitate rotation.
I wanted to be able to tighten sails over stays without damaging them on the
fittings. I considered putting a thin piece above the spreaders, too. I
will leave that for Rex to do for racing. I also considered cutting the
thin piece into sections and putting the teflon washers between each section
to facilitate rotation. Again, I leave that to Rex.

I am just a Sunday sailor.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA

Philip-39 wrote:

> If you roll the wheel while holding the control button down on your
> computer
> you can get a limited zoom. The gif will become blurry if you zoom too
> much, but a little may help you see what you need to see.
> Ed, why the three layers? Wouldn't two or one work? And why the Teflon
> and
> not just PVC?
>
> Philip

>>> sails. Available from Lowes, Home Depot or your local Ace Hardware.