[Rhodes22-list] Hey Chet....

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri Oct 20 13:07:46 EDT 2006

The real question regarding towing is "Where (how far and over what terrain)
do you actually plan to tow the boat & trailer?"  Although I would not
recommend towing with such a small car again, when I first took ownership of
my 1981 R22, the only vehicle I had was a 1978 Plymouth Sapporo (Mitsubishi,
4-wheel disc, 5sp stick, 2.6L.I4)  Needless to say, after the installation
of a custom built weight distributing frame hitch, I was able to tow the
boat from Stan's factory (Farmingdale, NY) to my home, about 20 miles.  I
was able to safely tow at 55 mph without killing the engine/transmission and
stopping was a bit longer than normal but not dangerously.

Since I live only about a mile from the ramp, I towed and launched with this
arrangement for 3 years, never going very far or fast.  The clutch was fine
since the occasional slip was provided by my wet rear wheels when
recovering.  Pulling up the ramp did not damage the vehicle, although we did
get a lot of stares.  Sometimes, due to the weight of the car (2450 lbs), we
needed a 150-200 lbs crew member (movable ballast) positioned on the rear
trunk to gain enough traction.

The item that gave me the most concern was the ability of the trailer to wag
the car's tail.  For this reason, we never traveled very far or very fast
with this setup.  In 1984, a Dodge Caravan (2.6L I4 automatic transaxle) was
substituted as the new tow vehicle.  It was much better at pulling on the
highway and up the ramp due to the front wheel drive.

Since then, I have towed with a 1991 Isuzu Amigo (2.6L I4 5sp stick 4WD) and
most recently with a 2005 Nissan Xterra (4.0L V6 6sp stick 4WD).  Obviously,
the weight and gearing of these vehicles have really been tremendously
valuable.  I worry more about my old trailer than the tow vehicle now.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)