[Rhodes22-list] Ernesto does a number on hatch cover

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Mon Sep 4 21:18:14 EDT 2006

My 1985 recycled in 2003 has a hole on at least the port side to lock the
pop top down, but it does not *always* engage.  I suspect temperature
variations affect alignment.  For a small fee Stan provided a low-stretch
line with a custom-looking high-density plastic hook and a clam cleat that I
mounted to the slanted front of the centerboard cap cover next to the
drawer.  The hook snaps over the center of the inverted "U" of the rear pop
top support and the line locks into the clam cleat to keep the support from
being lifted.  Last thing I do before locking the pop top slider upon
leaving the boat.

For security considerations, note that if your pop top can be lifted, your
hatch boards can be removed, even if the slider is locked.  I keep my boat
on a mooring, so that was my concern.

Jim Connolly