[Rhodes22-list] Ernesto does a number on hatch cover

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Mon Sep 4 23:33:56 EDT 2006

Gregg,
Another method that I have used  when I wanted a secure poptop while
crossing the Gulf Stream and when sailing in Mexico is pretty simple.  I
drilled 1/4 inch holes on the inside of the "lip", two forward, port and
stbd. and two aft, port and stbd.  These went through the inside face and
out the outside face of the lip and into the fiberglass of the actual
poptop.  I then insert fastpins into the holes until they "click".  If
sailing in a challenging environment where a dismasting, though remote may
occure, I pull the fastpin that links the poptop to the mast so the poptop
whon't be pulled off (this did happen to me once a long time ago).  For
"lockup" I don't remove the connection to the mast.  On my last boat the
poptop fiberglass was a bit thin and to make the system work better I
drilled all the way through and then covered the 2 holes on each side with a
nice piece of teak trim, works like a charm.

Chris G
Medford, Or