[Rhodes22-list] Katrina, 9/11, Could be Political

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Sep 12 12:14:29 EDT 2006

Good piece, Brad -- thank you.

As a compliment to your citation, here is a thought.
I have lost the name of the originator, but the quote
stands alone well enough: "America will remain the
land of the free only as long as it is the home of
the brave."

Terrorism in the nuclear age:

As terrorism is a borderless phenomenon (I hesitate
to call it a war, as it has no territorial objective),
it is certain that there will eventually be another
"hit" within our borders.

Given that, rather than continue to give up domestic
liberties, shouldn't we concentrate on controling the
worldwide production and trafficing in radiological
materials, as they are the only means by which
terrorists can totally destroy our ability to live in
major cities?

Radioactive contamination such as that resulting from
the Chernoble meltdown could (for example) result on
making New York city uninhabitable.  I propose that
we keep our eye on this ball, rather than worrying
about much less devastating (tho they _are_ awful)
chemical and explosive attacks.

Keep your eye on the ball:

Somewhere, we need to suck it up and acknowledge that
life in the 21st century has risks, and concentrate on
dealing with the big ones like Katrina and nuclear
terrorism.  There is no putting the nuclear genie back
in the bottle.

If we are to remain the land of the free, we must be
brave enough to recognize and live with some levels of
risk as just we now deal with bad drivers on the road.
Suicide bombers, while spectacular, cannot compete
with drunk driving as a killer of innocents.

Let's have perception of real levels of risk,
reasonable but not Draconic precautions, and balance
in our responses.  International vandalism is not a
justification for wholesale repeal of civil liberties,
unlimited invasion of privacy, or a bunker mentality.

Bravery:

Bravery is not the absence of fear.  It is feeling
fear, acknowledging it, working through the potential
for paralysis, and dealing with it as we get on with
life, and the tasks which we have before us.

Do-do occurs, but we cannot always have our eyes on
the ground to avoid stepping in it -- we need to look
up to the horizon of our aspirations -- and watch for
snipers in the trees.

/Robert Skinner