[Rhodes22-list] Slim - Hold The Phone - Politics

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Sun Sep 17 04:44:17 EDT 2006

Brad,

Last night I listened to the debate among the candidates for the 5CD, Fine,
Ellison and Tammy Lee, the independent.  I thought Ellison was fine and Fine
was hopelessly parroting what the party wants him to say and nothing more.
Ellison and Lee kept trying to redirect the discussion to the issues--taxes,
health care, education, etc. and all Fine could say is that "..Um, character
is an issue and um, I think um, joining a hate group that wants to destroy
our country shows the wrong character..."  The guy's desperate and all he
can do is sling the mud.

Ellison, on the other hand kept saying he would rather talk about the issues
but if he has to be dragged through this, fine.  He coolly said he never was
a member of the Nation of Islam and he never even met Louis Farrakhan.  He
helped organize the Million Man March, which he said was simply about
empowering the African-American male and he was proud to be a part of it.
Fine had no response.  Fine brought up Ellison's writings back in law school
and Ellison said it was just something he wrote about Affirmative Action
while he was a student at the U of M.  The moderator pressed Fine on what
exactly in the writings he objected to and Fine had no response.  And this:
"Mr. Fine, do you think Mr. Ellison is a racist?"  Fine hemmed and hawed and
said, "Um, it's um, more complicated than that.  Um, I don't think he's fit
for the office."  Then, "Exactly what is it that makes Mr. Ellison unfit?"
More hemming and hawing and non-answering.

This whole attack won't do much damage--it's too obvious this is a smear
campaign.  Especially since Ellison's been in the MN House for the last four
years and none of that (racist or anti-semite) has ever actually showed up
on the radar.

As of today I'm so ready to make our deal.

Slim