[Rhodes22-list] Fwd: Hello from Iraqi Kurdistan!

3drecon at comcast.net 3drecon at comcast.net
Tue Sep 19 14:43:53 EDT 2006

Dave,
    Without going back to the thread, if I said lbs, I meant ROUNDS.  That is 500 shells of chemical ordnance.  I have other information that could confirm a production capability but due to my clearances, I cannot share them.  Saddam was a dangerous man and his was a dangerous regime.  He did brutalize his own people, but if that were the bases for every invasion, we would become like the Prussians and have an Army with a State rather than a State with an Army.  Having said that, I can see strategic advantages to having Iraq "pacified" in the military sense.
     As "occupiers" we tiptoe around Arab sensibilities, go out of our way to avoid collateral damage and prosecute our own soldiers whenever we catch excesses, regardless of the mitigating circumstances.  The enemy simply plays without rules.  Their Qoran says they can lie and cheat "non-believers" and it is not a sin.
    As for Iran, I don't think they are truely trying to develop weapons grade plutonium or uranium.  Would they like to, probably.  The reality is, they want nuclear power.  They export their oil to be refined then buy it back.  It's expensive and they want to modernize their electrical grid.  Our (and Europe's) blustering and jumping up and down is just causing Iran to hunker down and tell us they can do what they want.  They are a radical regime that can, potentially destabilize the are and they want to export their brand of radical Islam (the Shi'ite version) and they do support Islamic terrorists.  What to do?  Do we attack them?  If we can contain them, that might be sufficient.
     Syria is another problem.  Syria has considered Lebanon a province for centuries.  I expect Assyria coveted Phoenicia.  They have a vital interest in what occurs over their border.  I think Bashir Assad is a moderate with western leanings, but is a captive (in the loosest sense of the word) to his father's holdovers and their choices.  If he bucks them openly, they could probably overthrow him.  Musharif of Pakistan is in a similar situation though a little stonger.
     Winning in Iraq means leaving a strong defensive Army and government that can secure borders and keep the peace.  The radicals know the more they bomb the more they delay our departure which, in turn, can alienate the population.  The population, overall, is much better off to-day than under Saddam.  Are there problems?  Yes, but we progress.  We took much longer to stabilize Germany and Japan after WWII and we totally anniliated them.  If staying over there keeps the fight there, rather than here, so be it.  As for the soldiers, there isn't a one there who didn't volunteer.  Any who were there in 2001 who didn't want to could have been out by now.

Philip

From: DCLewis1 at aol.com