[Rhodes22-list] You can believe it, Ed (political)

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Sep 20 12:20:30 EDT 2006

Now, Ed, don't run off the end of the field with the ball.

While I may be constitutionally and fiscally conservative,
I remain concerned with the less fortunate of my neighbors
and am an advocate of effective social support programs,
ones that do not perpetuate the poverty cycle.

I proudly support some initiatives that some would call
"liberal", but also advocate a barbed wire necklace for
our elected officials, something we can jerk when they
try to spend our money to buy themselves another term.

But I also support effective response to threats and
attacks, and by effective I mean closely directed and
clearly defined action with good intelligence behind it.

I do not support a cowboy-with-a-shotgun-shooting-from-the-hip
approach to international affairs, and I remain mindful
of Eisenhauer's warning about the "military-industrial
complex."

So it is not correct to assume that I buy all the rhetoric
that you expouse.  I try to recognize and understand what
works woth my ethical structure and avoid that which seems
ill-founded, ineffective, or unjustified.

Emmerson states: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of
little minds."  I interpret that to mean that someone who
buys the whole Republican (or Democratic) line is not
really exercising their grey cells or moral muscle.

The mischievous aspect of consistancy is that it tricks one
into thinking that one is thinking.

In any case, Ed, it seems to me that those who live near
terrorists or other delinquents know that their neighbors
are up to no good.  If they also know that the wrath of the
attacked will be visited on them 100-fold, they are likely
to encourage the miscreants to move elsewhere -- or rat
them out.

/Robert, not in a box.

Britanica:

Main Entry: hob·gob·lin  Pronunciation: 'häb-"gäb-l&n
Function: noun: a mischievous goblin

Main Entry: gob·lin  Pronunciation: 'gäb-l&n
Function: noun:   an ugly or grotesque sprite that is
mischievous and sometimes evil and malicious