[Rhodes22-list] Autopilot (was Roger)

Ben Schultz benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com
Wed Sep 20 16:49:22 EDT 2006

Hi Art,

Here's a small, low-resolution, but otherwise pretty good picture of how
it was mounted.

I've seen these mounted from on top of the gunnel, but that interferes
with where I want to sit.  So I mounted it to the side of the starboard
gunnel.  The R22 is beamier than Raymarine thinks an ST 1000 boat will
be, so I had to get an extension arm.  If you look carefully, you can
see the arm extending out about 8 inches, and the autopilot unit itself
connected to that.

The autopilot unit connects to the tiller arm by a little bracket
attached to the underside of the tiller.

I ran the cable beneath the starboard seats, up through the lazerette,
and installed a little socket along the inside of the transom.  This
gave me a neat little plug to attach the autopilot unit, which covered
when AP wasn't in use.

I sail on a big lake, where I try to keep the same course for a while --
sometimes hours.  Added to that is a preponderance of choppy water that
bounces us around a lot.  I found that a tiller tamer wasn't doing the
trick.  The auto pilot was a hugely important crew member, and one I
will replace as soon as finances and time allow.

I found the current draw to be negligible.  Certainly the unit isn't
strained at all by the little bit of force needed to move the Rhodes 22
tiller.

That's all I can think to explain.  Do you have any other questions?

Ben