[Rhodes22-list] You might be a True American if....

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 21:06:47 EDT 2006

Slim,

On a different, uh, note....did you read that MSP is hosting the 2008
Republican convention?

Here's some more on Ellison from Powerline - the other shoe will soon drop.

Brad

------------------------------------

 September 26, 2006
The wrong stuff, take 2

In his Washington Times column yesterday, Joel Mowbray postulates that
Minnesota Fifth District congressional candidate Keith Ellison raises
the *"Democrats'
dilemma."* <http://washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20060924-085114-9378r.htm> Joel
writes:

Only learned recently and far more troubling [than Ellison's history with
the Nation of Islam] is Mr. Ellison's seemingly tight connection with Nihad
Awad, co-founder of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), whom
he met almost two decades ago at the University of Minnesota.

Mr. Ellison's campaign obviously has downplayed the affiliation with Mr.
Awad. But here are the facts: Mr. Awad headlined a fundraiser last month
that the campaign estimates netted $15,000 to $20,000, and in July, and it
appears that CAIR's co-founder bundled contributions totaling just over
$10,000. (The campaign issued a terse denial on the latter point, though it
refused to explain away overwhelming evidence to the contrary.) The campaign
has gone so far as to suggest that Mr. Awad did all this without having any
contact with someone he's known since the late 1980s.

The Democrat's supporters have taken a different tack. Rather than defend
Mr. Awad or downplay his connections to the candidate, Ellison partisans
have attempted to paint attacks on the candidate as overtly partisan or even
bigoted. A Minneapolis Star Tribune columnist, for example, recently
suggested that Mr. Ellison is under attack solely for being Muslim.

With the exception of Katherine Kersten's Star Tribune columns on Ellison,
there is more straight information in Mowbray's single column than in the
entirety of the Minneapolis Star Tribune's coverage of Ellison over the past
four months. While its reporters have been unable either to dig up the basic
facts regarding Ellison's public career, or to keep them straight, the Star
Tribune editorial board and its lefty columnists have instead undertaken
instruction in manners and attitude. The Star Tribune, to take just one
example, has failed to discover or report that Ellison's adult (and
apparently Nation of Islam) aliases include Keith Hakim, Keith X Ellison and
Keith Ellison-Muhammad. Ellison-Muhammad is in fact the name under which
Ellison first ran for public office in 1998. Yet yesterday's Star Tribune *
editorial* <http://www.startribune.com/561/story/695569.html> (with the
distinctive proud-to-be-ignorant bullying that is the hallmark of Jim Boyd)
judges that when Ellison's Republican opponent referred to Ellison by these
names, he did so *"in guttersnipe fashion."*

Following the September 12 primary from which Ellison emerged the winner the
Star Tribune *erroneously
reported*<http://powerlineblog.com/archives/015268.php#015268>that
Ellison had used his various aliases "when he was a law student in the
early 1990s." Perhaps the Star Tribune editorial is relying on the Star
Tribune's erroneous reportage in objecting to the behavior of Ellison's
opponent. Or perhaps the Star Tribune thinks it is implicitly bigoted to
associate Ellison with aliases such as "Muhammad." The editorial doesn't
bother with an explanation; the offense is apparently self-explanatory in
Stribland. I don't know why referring to Ellison by reference to these
aliases is beyond the bounds of civil discourse, but I do know that a
newspaper incapable of getting the facts straight is something worse than
worthless.
Posted by Scott at 05:51 AM