[Rhodes22-list] Brad's birthday.

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Sep 29 14:56:46 EDT 2006

At 09:01 AM 9/29/2006, you wrote:
>Mary Lou,
>
>Congratulations on your upcoming retirement!  More sailing?

Thanks Brad. Yes more sailing, more time to travel on a small scale
and most importantly to me right now more time to spend with family
and friends - also time to think about what else I might want to do.

>   Also in the
>mail yesterday was an investment magazine from T Rowe Price with an article
>on the time value of money.  If you invested $4000 per year annually from
>age 25 until age 65 you'd have $1.123,124 in the bank. Let's see, in 1981 I
>was making $700 per month jerking gear for a commuter airline, paying off
>student loans, and expecting my oldest.  Nope, don't think I had an extra
>four grand that year.  Guess I'll have to work a bit longer.

In 1981 I was a bit older than 25 but I was a single parent who had
just completed grad school and was making $15K until I got laid off
and was out of work for 9 months.

I had the good fortune a few years later to meet Fred who's a bit
older than me. He didn't have any money either having just come off a
divorce but he did work for a company that provided retiree medical.
We put my daughter through college, bought a Rhodes 22 and threw
enough at our mortgage to pay it off in 17 years. Fred was offered an
early retirement 5 years ago. When we (I) came to the realization
that it isn't stuff that makes us happy - I decided it's time to
retire. I'm looking forward to it.

BTW, We're gonna be in Memphis in Feb. for a commie pinko gathering
of folk musicians. We'll probably have time if you are going to be around.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Swan Creek (Rock Hall, MD)