[Rhodes22-list] Re: Sailing Songs (was Question for Mary Lou)

mtroy at atlanticbb.net mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Sep 29 21:15:59 EDT 2006

No time for a long list but near the top are a bunch of
Stan Rogers songs: "Barretts Privateers", "White Squall",
"Lockkeeper" and an equally big bunch of Gordon Bok songs
"Herring Song", "Ways of Man", "Ile au Haut". Also any
number of traditional songs done by Martin Carthy and
Louis Killen.

Another favorite in a different vein is the "Brendan
Voyage" by composer Shaun Davey. It's a work for symphony
and Irish pipes based on the book by Tim Severin.

The truest sea songs are the Sea Chanteys (or Shanties).
Far too many to list but check out:
http://traditionalmusic.co.uk/sea-shanty/0sea-shanty.htm
and for recordings:
http://www.woodenshipsmusic.com/
Mystic Seaport has a Sea Music Festival every year. I've
never been but I hear it's good.

Finally, there's a new album out that I haven't heard but
have heard very good things about called "Rogues Gallery:
Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs and Chanteys". A bunch of top
names doing some traditional sea music. The one that I
really want to hear is Richard Thompson doing the
"Mingulay Boat Song" - a favorite artist and favorite
song.

Mary Lou