[Rhodes22-list] Boom room

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sun Apr 1 11:22:58 EDT 2007

Bettyboat,

This too is only my second season  and I'm a daysailor not a cruiser, so
don't put too much stock in my opinion.  I, on the other hand, always think
highly of my opinion.

I think the BoomRoom is an incredible option.  It's amazing how much quality
it must add to our boats.  Unfortunately, it's kind of amazing how much cost
it adds.  I don't know how much of a hassle it is to set-up along with the
poptop enclosure and how much storage space and weight are involved.  I'm
also not big on snaps.  I've already broken two on my front port covers.

Bahama Bill (Wickman) had a simple and inexpensive means of enclosing the
cockpit with mosquito netting.  I think he just draped it over the bimini
and tucked it in under the cockpit cushions.  It seems like you could do the
same thing with some lightweight waterproof tenting.  With a few woodclamps
(Mary Lou Troy's idea) or tie-downs, I don't think it would be much effort
to include coverage of the poptop also.  It might not be too pretty, but
then I own a pug, so beauty is in the eye of the boatholder.

I think Hank and some others have been working on less expensive BoomRoom
alternatives.  I'd probably want to do some comparisons before purchase.
I'd be surprised if anything is nicer than Stan's BoomRoom, but he'll be the
first to admit that it's not cheap.

Good luck!

I sail the Eastern Bay off of the Chesapeake and the conditions have been
excellent the last two weeks.  I can't understand why no one is taking
advantage of it.  Half of the boats in our marina aren't even in the water
and I haven't seen any other sailboats out there yet.  Last year I was all
about speed.  So far this year I'm all about comfort.  I'm probably only
losing about a knot in speed, and ten degrees less in heel is worth it.  I
still can't use a martini glass, but I've spilled a lot less beer.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Crab Alley (Kent Island, MD)