[Rhodes22-list] What's up with my mast?

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Thu Apr 5 15:30:31 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

I'm trying to understand exactly what I have.  I knew from the
beginning that my boat did not have a standard GB mast on it.  Who
knows where it came from.  As I attached the boom and read more about
how these things work. I'm beginning to wonder about what's going on
with my particular mast setup.  So, here are some photos and
questions. TIA for any sage advice -

Photo #1 - Base of mast - http://www.pandion.com/rhodes22/photos/mast-base.jpg

You can see in this photo that the sail track has a "kink" in it
about a foot up from the base plate.  It looks like it may have been
twisted or broken in the past and repaired.  Notice that there is no
slider for the poptop (see next photo).  You can see the remains of a
slider just below the kink with threaded holes still
intact.  However, it can't travel up past the kink.

Photo #2 - Poptop connector -
http://www.pandion.com/rhodes22/photos/mast-popcon.jpg

Here you can see a pad eye that's been screwed into the sail track
above the kink.  I insert the pin for the poptop bracket (see
previous photo) thru this pad eye to secure the poptop up.  It's a
little awkward, but manageable.  Also, I don't have anything close to
6-foot headroom under the poptup.  I'm 5'9 and I can almost stand
straight up under it.

Photo #3 - The boom connector -
http://www.pandion.com/rhodes22/photos/mast-boom.jpg

This is where things get seriously weird.  There is no slider for the
boom.  It attaches to the mast with the swivel bracket you see in
this photo, which is screwed securely to the mast.  Consequently, the
boom is always in the "up" position and cannot move vertically in
either direction.

Given these new insights, I'm beginning to wonder what kind of
sailing quirks I might encounter.  For example, the boom vang issue,
that R22 owners try to solve in various ways, is a non-issue on my
setup.  The boom is permanently "vanged" in place!  Once the main is
up, I suppose I can ease or trim the main halyard to adjust tension
on the sail, but that's about it from what I can see.

What kind of problems can I expect to face if the boom is always set
that high?  Are there advantages to being able to set it lower with
the poptop closed?

Would it be a worthwhile project to re-engineer a slider for the boom?

Cheers!

John Lock