[Rhodes22-list] New Rodes Owner

Rory Orkin roryorkin at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 7 15:27:59 EDT 2007

I think a charting GPS is the greatest navigational tool ever invented.. It
gives you an accurate fix instantly and reports your speed as well. If you
get one that interfaces with the radio it will broadcast your position in
the event of a Mayday.
Not likely but when you want it,  the best piece of information you can have
is your exact position. The GPS is the best way to come up with that quickly
and precisely
That being said I always use my paper chart book because it gives a much
larger perspective on where you are and where you want to go..not to mention
giving a better overview on hazards..
The compass is also essential for an easy way to maintain a heading or to
tell someone else how to point the boat.