[Rhodes22-list] Clay Bar Update

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 18:35:22 EDT 2007

Good Friday I played Mr. Mom and took Cora where every five year old wants
to go - to the airport! We washed N4451V and today I cleaned and waxed the
leading edges.  I bought some real clay bar material, not the liquid stuff,
and was impressed.  It looks like nothing more than a handful of Play-Do.
You spray on a lubricant that comes with it and rub back and forth.
Pressure is not required.  When you find a place that has an excess of
contaminants the clay will start to bind and that is your signal to spend
more time on that spot. The contaminants bind themselves to the clay and
leaves the surface clean.  It is not a substitute for rubbing compound on an
oxidized surface.  I had already used a cleaner-wax on the right wing but it
still felt rough to the touch.  After using the clay bar, it was as slick as
an oiled baby's butt.  Next experiment is to try it on gel-coat.  Anyone on
the list is welcome to beat me to this experiment.

Brad