[Rhodes22-list] Snow

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 9 08:57:21 EDT 2007

Joe,

Sorry, not a booking agent.  Some of us will be able to use the opportunity, some not - I'd hate to see Rhoadies miss this for lack of knowing.  I have sailed the area and visited over very many years and love it - the entire area is one big adventure, not even considering either the excellent sailing and beaches.  You could write a 'Bahamas' story just sailing the keys that dot the entire coastline, some with lots of activity, some mostly isolated.

One of our first trips we camped at Fort DeSoto, just south of St Pete - on one of the keys.  You can't imagine how nice.  Now I anchor off the key whenever I want and can pull in for necessities easily.  Sarasota Bay is a huge protected sailing area, one of many, and would seem in many ways like LIS.  The fishing is excellent, with or without boat.  Lots of opportunity for biking, hiking, birding, and just touring.  John and Mabel Ringling established a winter home for their circus in Sarasota, where the museum is located.  Like I said - you wouldn't believe.  It is now owned by Florida State University.

One of John Ringling's greatest wishes was to develop this region of Florida after he moved from the Northeast.  He struggled over many years to bring in the railroad and other investors - just never caught on like Miami and the east-coast strip.  The area, much less developed and pristine, is much better for vacationing and relaxing as a consequence, yet has all the amenities.  The convenience has really been enhanced with the added commercial air service now available.  I would suggest Sarasota with Airtran (I'm not an Airtran agent, either) if a flight connection is available.  Airtran in less visible in the Northeast, although an excellent carrier.  I believe they were ranked #3 in the most recent service rating, with Delta much lower.  BTW, Airtran's discount rates are even lower with a fare promotion good thru tommorrow night.

Sailors in general, Rhoadies in particular are not known as a bunch content with sitting on their hands, watching the weather pass by.  I suspect the consistant and very pleasant weather in this part of Florida should make it a destination of choice.

If you choose not to accept this mission impossible, this email will SELF-DESTRUCT!

Art