[Rhodes22-list] Magnetic or True? Relying on GPS may be fatal flaw

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Apr 10 07:40:29 EDT 2007

Dave Lewis:

    I wish you the best and hope you always sail safely.

    However, relying 100% on GPS may be a fatal error.

    I have used GPS since the original single channel models and I believe
the current models are called 12 channel.  Even now they are not always
accurate to insure absolute personal safety.  And they do not always put you
where they say they do.

     So far, they have put me within sight of where they say they put me.
But a 1000 feet can be a critical error if you are not constantly verifying.
Furthermore, I have seen the signal take a walk.  I mean vanish for a minute
or so.

     So, I wish you safe speed and hope you always arrive safely.

     I think Brad forgets that he looks out the cockpit window and probably
checks the compass on runway headings.  I suspect that if the compas says
270 and he is landing on 14 he looks around.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum for all the rest to read:
http://www.boatkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/cruising/4408/relying-on-GPS-leads-to-accidents