[Rhodes22-list] Pandion's First Sail!

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 10 08:00:29 EDT 2007

>1) I was never able to get the main very flat.  It always had a
>pretty good belly in it.  The main halyard and main sheet were tight,
>the topping lift was released, the outhaul was tight, and the
>whatchamacallit line that runs up the leach of the main was tightened
>also.  What am I missing?

Your leach line will not really help flatten. Relax line all the way. If the
leach starts flapping (you will know!) tighten line until it stips...no
more.  If I remember your set up your boom attachment is fixed. Normally you
would have a downhaul that would help flatten sail by lowering boom. Do you
have a cunningham control? No boom vang to help here either. Also I don't
remember if you had a traveler, proper traveler adjustment would help. If
you don't have boom vang, downhaul, cunningham, or traveler there may not be
much you can do.

>2) I developed an immediate dislike of jam cleats ;-)  Are cam cleats
>better at holding?

Sometimes these terms get mixed up.....cam cleat do hold better. Is this for
jib sheets? The jib cleats on my R22 work best with right size jib sheets.
With a turn or two on winch my clam cleat always hold. I like the fact that
they can be released easily. You may want to confirm you have right size
sheet.

>3) How do you keep battens in their pockets?  After a few good flaps,
>all but one of them flung out of the sail and over the side.

First make sure they are in ALL the way...if there is a bunch of slop the
battens are the wrong size (too small). Make sure anh flaps around opening
are back in place.....sometimes they don't close up just right. If they are
the right size and still fall out some use velcro or just sew them iin
place.

Fair winds,

Wally