[Rhodes22-list] Laz leak

Michael Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Apr 11 18:07:41 EDT 2007

I have been able to replace this hose while in the water by inserting a plug
into the drain from below.  Using a mask and snorkel I swam under with a
rubber expansion cork used to plug the return line from the swimming pool
pump in the winter.  Push the plug into the drain, twist the thumbscrew and
go topside to replace the hose.  Even if it leaks slightly, it isn't too
bad.  After getting the hose off the fittings (I had to cut it off with a
breakaway knife) you need to bend and fiddle with the replacement hose to
get it all the way onto both fittings while avoiding damaging it.  Don't
forget to place the clamps on first (voice of experience).  Since it is so
hard to replace, I suggest new hose clamps and the best quality hose, just
to be sure that there are no leaks.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
     Nissequogue, NY

From: Rory Orkin Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:43 PM

The condition of that particular piece of tubing was my first guess. I have
not been able to get it to leak using a hose.
I will continue to check it because it does look suspicious , I just cant
find any cracks.. I can see that it is a tough one to fix as it is sort of
glassed in. Thanks for the input