[Rhodes22-list] Don Imus

Slim StevenAlm at comcast.net
Thu Apr 12 19:10:19 EDT 2007

What's the deal here?  Don Imus is a shock jock and he's hired to be
shocking and now has been fired for being... um... shocking.  He referred to
the Rutgers women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos" which is certainly
racist and offensive to be sure, and I'm in no way defending that rhetoric,
but he's supposed to be shocking, right?  No less than CBS CEO Les Moonves
personally caved in to public outrage and fired him for doing his job.
Isn't this just a sticks and stones thing?  Freedom of speech?  Do shock
jocks now have to be PC?  Howard Stern (I'm no fan of his either) has done
much worse.  I really don't like either Stern or Imus and I'm not sure why
I'm writing this but it seems like a stab at freedom of speech and I feel
bad that Imus was fired--he shouldn't have been.  I've been known to use
some very un-PC songs and jokes myself and it's all in the context of humor
and entertainment.  If you don't like it, there's a Chucky Cheese right down
the road--go there and have fun!

Slim