[Rhodes22-list] leaks

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Sat Apr 14 19:07:36 EDT 2007

Dave,

I joined this list about a year ago because I was looking for help with
repairing the cockpit floor on my '81.  After sealing many sources of water
entry to the Laz/cabin bilge system, I realized that the cockpit floor could
no longer be ignored.

First, I replaced the table mounting plate since the bottom had cracked and
was permitting water to pass into the foam filled space below the floor and
into the laz.  When doing this, be sure to use a good quality sealant,
specified for the purpose.  Most of my R22 was originally sealed with a
silicone product which did not last.  I have switched to "3M Marine Adhesive
Sealant Fast Cure 4000 UV" with very good results for sealing fiberglass to
metal and plastics.  In addition, be careful to make sure that the mounting
screws still bite into something.  I installed threaded inserts using epoxy.

The floor had two additional major problems, both responsible for the
admission of water.  When the boat was new, we witnessed the development of
"star burst" patterns of damage in the cockpit floor gelcoat.  They were
circular with radial lines extending 3 to 4 inches from the center.  We were
told that we must have dropped something hard to have caused them (like a
beer bottle), although we could not remember such events (we didn't have
THAT much beer.)  Over the years, water must have entered the glass layers
in the floor through these defects to cause the second and more serious
problem: the separation or delamination of the floor components.  The freeze
and thaw cycles of the NY winter increased the damage to floor, using the
trapped water as a wedge.  This became evident when the floor "oil canned"
as a large bubble formed beneath the upper layers.  This was compounded by
the destruction of the foam below as water continued to pass through the
floor, destroying the support system for the cockpit floor.  Eventually, the
top layer of the floor cracked and I was able to see into the separated
layers directly.

I concentrated my efforts on rebuilding the cockpit floor to take the
punishment that it gets in normal use.  After drilling holes in the floor to
access the internal layers, I spent several months drying out the floor
using acetone and fans while keeping water out of the cockpit using tarps.
I added structural wood supports and plywood to the foam below the cockpit.
I removed all damaged foam and replaced it.  When the structure below was
solid and the floor was dry, I used penetrating epoxy from West Marine to
reattach the layers of glass, compressing the floor down using bricks on wax
paper.  Now that the epoxy has cured, I will be filling the holes and any
remaining voids using West System 105/206/407, finishing flush with the gel
coat.

Because I am not skilled enough with gel coat repairs and wish to prevent a
similar failure in the future, I am planning to finish the cockpit floor
with "Treadmaster Original Smooth Pattern" anti-slip deck covering.  It is
about $150 per 3' x 4' sheet, is 1/8" thick and is secured with water proof
adhesive.  This should restore that cockpit floor, providing a really
comfortable (on the feet) polymer surface that will absorb shock well and
prevent water from entering the floor.

I sure hope that your cockpit floor is not as badly damaged.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
      Nissequogue River, NY

From: <DCLewis1 at aol.com> Saturday, April 14, 2007 11:06 AM