[Rhodes22-list] Bob Mellor and the Gift

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Apr 15 09:21:48 EDT 2007

Bob Mellor, the Gift:

	Tom Whitten has written about his experience sailing with Ted Hood when he
was young.  He said, “That sailing with Hood left an indelible impression on
me.” “Even then I realized that Ted Hood was the greatest of the great.” “I
realized that he had more that just a lot of experience, but also a lot of
ideas.  He just knew them; they probably came to him thought osmosis.  Maybe
that ‘s a reasonable definition of genius. (from the book, Art and Science
of Sails by Tom Whidden)

	Bob, consider the gift that you have been given.  Go back and reread Stan’s
advice for your repair project.  Keep in mind that Stan can glance at a
Rhodes 22 in the shop and the next morning give his helpers a specific and
detailed list of tasks to make the boat right.  Regard his suggestions as
gifts.

	I am greatly disappointed in Mark Putnam for his not leading you how to
locate some answers.  So do see:
http://www.ask.com/web?q=stringer+repair+site%3Arhodes22.org+&qsrc=1&o=0&l=dir

	In addition peruse some outside sources on this type repair.  Don Casey is
the current media darling, but look at ‘The Fiberglass Boat Repair Manual’
by Allan Vaitses.  Also, ‘Fiberglass Boat Repair & Maintenance’ by West
System.  And look here:
http://www.epoxyworks.com/indexprojects.html

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA

And Stan, while I have your attention (I hope) ..  I am about to put in new
stringers to replace the rotted ones i took out.  (realizing now I probably
should have been more patient and replaced them one at a time).  Assuming it
was initially done in the mold, what is the best positioning of the boat to
tab them in...  in the water, on the trailer, cradled, suspended by the
eyes, or?

I plead for your renowned expertise on this one.

if you are glassing-in fiberglass stringers with polyester resin, water and
even moisture will stop the "kicking off" of the catalyzed resin.   So,
whether you do it on land or in the water, all surfaces must be kept dry.