[Rhodes22-list] sailing

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 15 11:51:36 EDT 2007

>Do I need to plug any of the thruholes before I put in? I'm thinking the
>one in the cockpit that you can see the ground thru needs to be plugged.

No you do not plug the hole in the cockpit. This holes allows water to drain
out of the boat. If you are overloaded or stern heavy some plug drain hole
to keep water from draining in. I am guessing most of theother holes are
above the waterline......

>I'm not sure where the bilge is. I think I should be checking for water in
>the bilge after I put in to see if I have any leaks. Where would I look for
>water in the bilge & if there is, How do you get it out. I don't see a
>bilge pump on my electrical panel.

I am guessing your cabin is carpeted...lif up carpot and you should have an
inspection cut out in cockpit floor providing access to bilge. You can bail
with sponge if needed.

>The bolt that secures the mast to the boat has a wing nut. How tight should
>this be? A wing nut indicates to me it doesn't need to be that tight.

Light Hand tight is all you need.

>When you motor, do you lock the outboard straight & steer with the tiller
>or do you use the motor to turn?

Gernerally I lock outboard straight and turn with boat tiller. In close
quartes you can turn using both motor and boat rudder if needed.

>Is there anything else I should check or do before I launch?

You do have a copy of launch checklist that has been posted right? Make sure
there are no overhead trees or wires in launch area. Have fun and good luck!

Wally