[Rhodes22-list] More boat tinkering (was: Lift range of 7:1 outboard mount)

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sun Apr 15 13:46:37 EDT 2007

At 11:38 AM 4/15/2007, you wrote:
>I installed mounts for my handheld GPS and an old Humminbird fish
>finder on the starboard bulkhead.  The Humminbird helped me thru a
>narrow channel on Friday evening.  The transducer is still hanging
>off a length of PVC strapped to the boarding ladder for testing
>(thanks Mary Lou!)  May or may not get around to making something
>more permanent.

You're welcome. Ours is actually clamped to the stern rail next to
the boarding ladder. It's important to me that the ladder be functional.

>Now I'm considering whether to convert my single backstay, with its
>Y-split end, to full twin backstays.  Currently, the traveler sits
>pretty low in the cockpit,  about the same height as the stern
>rail.  It always seems to be in the way when I have to do anything
>with the motor or rudder.  Also, I can't lift the tiller up out of
>the way.  It's trapped between the traveler and backstays, which is
>annoying when I set up the table in the cockpit.

Good point. With our traveller placement, we can lift the tiller and
bungee it to the traveller to keep it out of the way and to keep the
rudder from swinging at anchor.

>Oh yeah, and I'm still considering replacement of the motor mount and
>re-installing the original front ports or something to aid
>ventilation.  I'm liking the idea of a Nicor solar fan mounted on the
>cabin top.  Wondering how good their rain exclusion is...

We've had ours for the nine years we've had the boat. It never seemed
to let water in until this past year. When I pulled it to clean it up
(it had gotten noisy as well), I discovered that the gasket (or
o-ring - I forget which) had disintegrated. One more small job before launch.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD