[Rhodes22-list] Bob Mellor and the Gift - Now Stringer/Floor replacements

bobmellor rhmello at aol.com
Sun Apr 15 15:52:23 EDT 2007

Ed

Thanks once again for your input.... I am forever grateful for any and all
help.

I had already scoured the archives for many topics.... using the "ask"
search method and others.   I've collected a vast amount of info on many
topics, but have not found the answer for this particular question.
(interestingly the specific search link you provide points me to a few of my
own previous posts).

I already had Casey's books and visited epoxyworks, and (I believe it was
your previous recommendation) have picked up a copy of Vaitses' book.  I am
now familiar with tabbing procedures, "hard" spots, etc... and have a little
expoy experience under my belt since doing several other repairs.

My specific question is the recommended "state" of the boat when positioning
and replacing the stringers and floor.

I realize that this assembly contributes to the structural stiffening of the
boat, and that (especially with stringers and floor etc removed) there must
be some deformation in the hull shape when in the water versus on the
trailer, versus hanging on the eyes, etc..etc...

I may be overthinking (and very well may be wrong) that on the trailer with
the bunks, the cross section of the hull might be compressed so that it is
slightly narrower than it would be on the water or hanging from the eyes.
If that is correct, I would also think it might be better to put the
stringers/floor in without the bunk pressure, so the in the water     it
would be closer to an "unstressed" condition and on the tralier in a
compressed condition.  If done on the trailer, the stess in the water would
be more like an expansion action trying to pull it apart.  (Not sure how the
longitudinal cross section would be affected on trailer, water, or hanging)

Currently the two middle stringers and the starboard stringer are out.   It
does not appear that the middle pair of stringers were ever attached to the
forward crosspiece.  The rear ends of all four stringers are not attached to
anything.  (There was no rear cross piece as shown in some of the archives
diagrams).  The starboard stringer, having no rear atttachement, was severly
warped at the aft end backwards under the galley base.

Again, I might be overthinking this and it may not be significant one way or
the other, I just want to do it correctly.

My  specific questions:

1. what "state" of the boat is best for this replacement - on trailer, in
water, hangiing by eyes, or on a homemade cradle of some type?  (or does it
not make a significant difference)

2.  should I add a rear crossmember to connect aft ends of stringers?

3. should the forward ends of the middle stringers be physically fastened to
the front crossmember?

I'll be emailing Stan as well directly on this as all of the answers may or
may not be known to the list.

diagram attached
http://www.nabble.com/file/7885/stringers.JPG

Thanks all..

bob m

Bob Mellor, the Gift:

	Tom Whitten has written about his experience sailing with Ted Hood when he
was young.  He said, “That sailing with Hood left an

indelible impression on me.” “Even then I realized that Ted Hood was the
greatest of the great.” “I realized that he had more that just a lot of

experience, but also a lot of ideas.  He just knew them; they probably came
to him thought osmosis.  Maybe that ‘s a reasonable definition of

genius. (from the book, Art and Science of Sails by Tom Whidden)

	Bob, consider the gift that you have been given.  Go back and reread Stan’s
advice for your repair project.  Keep in mind that Stan can

glance at a Rhodes 22 in the shop and the next morning give his helpers a
specific and detailed list of tasks to make the boat right.  Regard his

suggestions as gifts.

	I am greatly disappointed in Mark Putnam for his not leading you how to
locate some answers.  So do see:
http://www.ask.com/web?q=stringer+repair+site%3Arhodes22.org+&qsrc=1&o=0&l=dir

	In addition peruse some outside sources on this type repair.  Don Casey is
the current media darling, but look at ‘The Fiberglass Boat

Repair Manual’ by Allan Vaitses.  Also, ‘Fiberglass Boat Repair &
Maintenance’ by West System.  And look here:
http://www.epoxyworks.com/indexprojects.html

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA

And Stan, while I have your attention (I hope) ..  I am about to put in new
stringers to replace the rotted ones i took out.  (realizing now I probably

should have been more patient and replaced them one at a time).  Assuming it
was initially done in the mold, what is the best positioning of the boat to
tab them in...  in the water, on the trailer, cradled, suspended by the
eyes,

or?

I plead for your renowned expertise on this one.

if you are glassing-in fiberglass stringers with polyester resin, water and
even moisture will stop the "kicking off" of the catalyzed resin.   So,

whether you do it on land or in the water, all surfaces must be kept dry.