[Rhodes22-list] towing the dark side

cjlowe cjlowe at bright.net
Sun Apr 15 20:54:40 EDT 2007

We've had a few tows ourselves,one really made me sad.We were at a reservoir
about 10 miles from our home lake (which was 15 feet higher than normal and
we couldn't get under the power lines across the  channel) we were tacking
back and forth towards the marina about a mile away,wind right on the
nose,of coarse.We saw a well used poontune boat head out of the marina ,
made it about half way to where we were,slowed down and everybody moved to
the  stern and watched the two men tinker with the  outboard.As we got close
to them, they were down to rowing back towards the marina,with 4 kids,ages 5
to10 ,in their brand new pfds.Disappointment was written all over their
faces, as a much looked forward to day on the lake with dad, was rapidly
heading south. As we pulled along side of them,Duke,our Dalmatian, came
bounding out of the cabin and jumped up on the gunnels and  greeted the
kids.The dads had  had enough of the oars for one day and gladly accepted
the offer of a tow back. Duke and the kids were having so much fun showering
each other with attention,we rafted up and slowly limped back to the docks,
rather then tow them behind.By the time we got back to the dock there was
more dog hair on the boat than on Duke's back,from all the petting.As the
kids got off the boat, they were all smiles,arguing about which one of them
Duke liked the best. Alls well that ends well.

Jerry Lowe