[Rhodes22-list] Squirrels - squirrel relocation program

bobmellor rhmello at aol.com
Tue Apr 17 14:34:30 EDT 2007

Critters eating my fences, wicker chairs, shrubs etc, and making a general
mess of everything.   Being a non-killer type guy I bought 3 "hav-a-hart"
squirrel traps a few years ago...   started a squirrel "relocation" program,
taking them to  woods at least 5 miles away.

Was a much nicer neighborhood for the squirrels...  nearby parks for the
squirrel kids, close to squirrel schools, large wooded squirrel lots, etc...
left it up to squirrel mom and dad to design and build their new homes.

Using a sticky mess of a mix of molasses and peanut butter to attract, some
days i made 3 or 4 relocation trips (3 squirrels each) to their new homes.

Discovered for every dozen squirrels you remove from your neighborhood,
there are two dozen that replace them.  This quickly becomes exponentiial
and cost of traps, gas, and time becomes prohibative.

But.... it's fun watching those little critters walk into traps right next
to the one that just caught their buddy and sproing.. they are trapped too.
Not quick learners!

With that image in mind, I might just start the program up again this
spring....

Bob M