[Rhodes22-list] Robert...snow

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 22:07:49 EDT 2007

Robert,

The only forward cleat is the single bow cleat...I
don't think that it would work for the stern  line
what with stays etc.....but to tie both springs off
(as the forward one is now) to the midship cleat on
the stbd side would do the trick...it would keep the
boat centered yet allow it to travel with the
tides..and to the dock for me to board.

I have the other pulley & the hardware.. the guys were
using them for our other boat...so I can use it on the
outboard stern piling.

I should be able to get to it on Fri's high
tide...will let you know how it turns out...

Thanks...elle

--- Robert Skinner <robert at squirrelhaven.com> wrote:

> When you have pilings to tie to as in this case,
> one option is to use springers.  One goes from
> the forward piling to a stern cleat, and the
> other could go from the aft piling to a forward
> cleat.  As these springers are longer, they
> allow more travel to compensate for the tides.
>
> If both are equipped with pulleys, as the
> forward piling is, then adjustment would be
> easier.
>
> Using one or more concrete blocks as weights per
> your suggestion, you could compensate even better
> for tide/storm surge -- up to a point.  You know
> best where the winds come from and how strong
> they are.
>
> We can go a lot deeper into the subject of
> springers, but I wanted to see if this
> discussion was going in the right direction
> before writing a book.
>
> Speaking of books, I believe Chapman has a
> pretty good description of the use of
> springers in a slip -- better than I could do.
>
> /robert
> www.rhodes22.org/list

 1992 Rhodes 22   Recyc '06  "Water Music"   (Lady in Red)