[Rhodes22-list] Computer Question

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Apr 18 11:38:44 EDT 2007

Brad, recovery depends on what failed.

Does the machine light up at all?  If not,
may be a loose connection somewhere.  Take
it to the local computer repair shop...

Do the leds come on but the disk not start?
Could be the drive crapped out -- < $100
replacement, reload OS and software -
could be a lot of work finding and
downloading drivers, etc. if the machine
was not Ghosted when you got it.

(When you first get a machine, have the
local guru make a Ghost copy of the drive
so it can always be reverted to initial
state in case of drive failure, virus,
etc.)

A $700 replacement sounds pretty good unless
you want to spend up to $500 parts and labor
to keep the old one on the road.

In any case, it's a good idea to have a
spare ready to go if it is mission-critical.
I regularly rotate out older laptops,
replacing them with used ones that have
stable (not too old, definitely not new)
operating systems and hardware.

I usually buy used machines with a Windows
2000 license -- vista scares me now.  Might
get better over time.

If you get a new one, see if you can get W2k
or XP rather than Vista on it.  BTW, the tag
that says "Vista ready" on any hardware is
not to be believed.  Verify that Vista is
runnable on it, and that all your software
toolkit will work on it.  Some older S/W
will not run under Vista -- not yet, and
maybe never.

Lenovo (usta was IBM PCs) has a good rep for
value and support today.

/robert
Brad Haslett wrote:

> Ok, Rhodie computer geeks, weigh in on this one.  My IBM X40 somehow took a
> "bath" on a recent road trip and won't recover.  I've already tried all the
> suggested treatments to bring it back to life but it is DOA.  I love the
> machine and can replace it with a new one, including a docking station, for
> about $750 (less than half what I paid when it was introduced). That option
> also means I have an extra battery, charger, etc. I don't keep up with
> technology and only need access to the web on the road, nothing fancy.  Is
> there something out there that is the latest and greatest that will suffice
> without costing an arm and a leg?  A maximum weight of 2 pounds is my limit.
>
> Brad

Robert Skinner  "Squirrel Haven"
Gorham, Maine         04038-1331
s/v "Little Dipper" & "Edith P."