[Rhodes22-list] How to handle gusty winds?

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Fri Apr 20 14:23:24 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

Had another (mostly) good sail in Pandion yesterday.  Weather report
said winds would be NW at 10-20.  What I experienced was more like
0-20.  At this stage in my learning experience I found it very
difficult to judge how much sail to have up.  The wind speed varied
so widely and quickly, that I got caught at one end of the extreme or
the other at various times.

At first the wind was very light, so I pulled out most of the
genoa.  The main was always fully set because I haven't mastered
roller reefing it yet.  As the wind picked up everything would work
quite nicely.  My course put me on a close- or beam-reach depending
on what direction the wind was coming from.  Got zipping along at
6.2kts at one point.  A new record for us!  :-)

Then the wind would suddenly gust into the 15-20 range and all hell
broke loose.  We heeled over hard putting the rail in the
water.  Stuff was flying everywhere (including my wife, who did not
wish to be flying anywhere).  I thought we were going to lay it right
down on the side, but I managed to let the main sheet go and the gust
passed as quickly as it had arrived.

Whew!  We sorted things out and got back on course.  I left the main
hanging out wide just to catch less air.  Pulled the genoa back to
about 1/3 and got things back under control.  Then the wind died to
less than 5.  Barely a puff.  <sigh> Our speed reduce to about
0.5.  Crap, not even enough to maintain my heading.

So, I pulled the genoa back out most of the way and started trimming
the main back in until the wind decided to pick up again in a few
minutes.  Got nicely under way again for a little while until I could
see/feel another gust coming.  This time I just released the main
sheet quickly and let it go.  We still grabbed a lot of air in the
genoa and heeled over pretty hard again, but more in control this
time and with less hysterics.

And of course, the breeze died away again after that gust and we were
back to just floating.

Needless to say this was getting frustrating.  We were either
becalmed or bepanicked!  So... how does one cope with winds that
variable?  Especially you Hartwell sailors, you're probably
experiencing much the same thing right now.

Cheers!

John Lock