[Rhodes22-list] How to Handle Gusty Winds

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Mon Apr 23 10:29:34 EDT 2007

At 07:37 AM 4/23/2007 -0500, W Buck wrote:
>John, I know it sounds wrong but trust me. :-)  If you really are just
>sailing around and don't care about losing headway (createing leeway)
>raising the CB will reduce heeling. I sail all the time in heavy winds
>(single handed) and often do this when winds are really gusty.

I'm going to give that a try next time we get some more
wind.  Forecast looks pretty tame for the next few days.  At this
point, headway is not important at all.  I have no particular
destination and just want to go out, have some fun (and excitement),
and learn what I can.  As long as there's room between me and the
shoreline, leeway can be tolerated.

When motoring, I always have the CB up (read that on the list
previously).  I don't have any tight quarters to negotiate, so I've
got it easy in that respect.

Haven't tried the boom vang yet.  There is a bail for it on the boom
and an eye on the mast.  However, I believe the mast eye is mounted
too high, because it is meant to double as the hanger for the poptop
(there's no slider on mine). So, I'm going to install another eye at
the base of the mast.  That looks like it will give a much better
angle for the vang to do its thing.

Speaking of which, I got a dramatic, first-hand demonstration of how
much benefit I'd get from using a boom vang.  Last time out, while
the wind was fairly light, I just reached up, grabbed the boom and
held it down.  That immediately accelerated the boat half a knot.  I
couldn't hold it down for long, but it was a pretty convincing
experiment.  I have the vang stored below in the locker, but I need a
couple shackles to hook it up. To repeat myself.... more research is
required :-)

Cheers!

John Lock