[Rhodes22-list] Problems with attachments to the list

michael meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Mon Apr 23 19:42:13 EDT 2007

Just got from vacation, what's up?
-mjm

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of John Lock
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 11:01 AM
To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Problems with attachments to the list

Hi folks,

I just wanted to throw in some information about the problems people
are seeing sending attachments to the list -

It has very little to do with what OS you use.  It has everything to
do with what kind of e-mail software you use.

Internet e-mail standards were never designed to carry binary data
(such as photos).  However, as technology evolved, that became an
obvious requirement and various schemes were devised to convert
binary data into plain ASCII, so it would travel nicely through the
mail transport system.  These encoding schemes are called things like
MIME, UUEncode, BinHex, Base64 and others.

The reason some people can send attachments and others cannot is
because of the way your e-mail software converts and packages the
attachment for delivery.  The "Mailman" software that is running the
mailing list is apparently only accepting one kind of encoding.  So,
if your software happens to be doing exactly what Mailman expects,
your attachment comes thru.  Otherwise, it gets sent to the bit
bucket (or garbled, but that's uncommon).

If you are using web-based e-mail such as HotMail, Gmail, Yahoo,
etc... you probably have little choice of what kind of encoding to
use for attachments.  It's whatever the service provider decides to
use.  If you use real e-mail software, like Thunderbird, Eudora, or
Outbreak... uh, I mean Outlook, you can try fiddling with the
attachment encoding settings to see what works.

If you are following along on www.nabble.com, there's yet another
layer of software between the original e-mail and Nabble's threaded
format.  However, if I understand correctly, Nabble still relies on
Mailman to deliver the content that it then acts upon.

In the e-mail headers, there is a clue -

This is telling us that some kind of filtering is going on, but we
don't know what its parameters are.  Until we can get Michael
Meltzer's attention and feedback on what the Mailman software expects
for attachments, there's not much we can do.

Cheers!

John Lock
s/v Pandion - '79 Rhodes 22
Lake Sinclair, GA