[Rhodes22-list] Batteries - Woe is me

CORLEYMICHAELSIX at aol.com CORLEYMICHAELSIX at aol.com
Mon Apr 23 21:02:06 EDT 2007

After contemplating all the wonderful advice from the list including the
trail on 6 volt golf cart batteries I purchased 2 wet cell 12 volt Grp 24  Deep
Cycle Marine Batteries that are connected in series.  Now for the Woe  is me
part . . . . While installing them I hooked them up wrong and fried the  wiring
harness and hopefully nothing else.  There was a lot of smoke from  the
melting wire and the batteries quickly got hot to the touch.  My son  saved the day
by quickly yanking the batteries out.  Afterwards I  checked the batteries
with a multi meter and they are still showing 12.7 volts,  which is about where
they were before the incident.  Apparently a large  white wire that appears to
have 2, maybe different 3 wires in it is what  melted.  I believe it connected
the two batteries.  While only one  wire melted the others broke when we
yanked the batteries out.  Obviously I  have limited electrical knowledge.  What
damage do you think I may have  done and how do I fix it?

Lesson learned:  Keep fire extinguisher handy when working on  boat

Mike
S/V Ranger (99)