[Rhodes22-list] Was (no subject) now bimini

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Wed Aug 8 08:55:51 EDT 2007

I have a love/hate relationship with my bimini.

I love how inexpensive it is compared to most boat stuff.  I love how
well-designed it is.  I love how much of a positive difference it makes when
it's up.  And most important is that without it, my wife would never come
sailing with me.

On the other hand, it's somewhat in the way no matter where you put it, up
or down.

When sailing with the bimini up, I'm not too fanatical about perfect
mainsail shape.  As long as it's not flapping all over the place, close
enough is good enough.  I do a little yoga so bending over backwards to look
up behind the bimini isn't that big of a deal.  I like to stand and sail,
and with the bimini up, the lazerette is a pretty safe place to stand with
all the hand-holds around you.

Instead of cutting a hole in the bimini, wouldn't it be simpler to loosen or
even disconnect the aft ties and push the rear of the bimini forward a
little?  I haven't tried this so it may be a lame idea, but if the boom is
in the way, use the topping lift.  Cutting a hole just doesn't seem like it
would be worth it.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Crab Alley (Kent Island, MD)