[Rhodes22-list] political - war on drugs - an alternative approach

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Aug 8 15:05:56 EDT 2007

DCLewis1 at aol.com wrote:
> Regarding drugs: If I understand correctly, the claim is that if we just
> legalized drugs the problem would go away.  I'm asserting the problem(s)  would
> just be different.  I think that if we legalized "hard drugs" (i.e.  drugs that
> are seriously addictive and seriously debilitating) the moral,  social, and
> economic costs to society created by a class of literally tens  of millions of
> addicts would dwarf our present problems by orders of  magnitude.  If drugs
> were legal, Brad's son would not be on the high seas  trying to interdict, he
> would be riding an ambulance stuffing body bags.  I  think that criminalization
> of drug use actually works to disincentivize a lot of  people that would
> otherwise try addicting drugs, and the moral, social and  economic costs associated
> with tens of millions of addicts is so extraordinarily  high that any
> disincentive is a good and useful thing.
> Dave
---------------------

Dave,

I understand and agree that disincentives related to
the improper use of drugs are appropriate.

There are, however, two questions that need answers:

"What constitutes improper use of drugs?"

"At what point do the disincentives themselves become
a problem?"

Proper drugs?

We have yet as a society come to an agreement as to
what drugs are to be accepted as "OK".  We are now
questioning both alcohol and tobacco, even though
they have been accepted for centuries.  Marijuana
has become more accepted as it migrated into white
culture.  New "designer" drugs hit the bricks on a
regular basis.

Yet without anything even coming close to a consensus
as to what drugs are OK, we find disinformation on
all sides.  The government agencies whose lifeblood
is illegal drug traffic publish false assessments of
the value of their seizures.  The drug subculture
discounts the real dangers to mind and body from
drugs.

There are few credible sources of information
available to young people - those who are most
vulnerable.

A reality check reveals that virtually all societies
and cultures condone the use of one or another
psychotropic drugs.  In the US, our Puritan black or
white, all or nothing ethic does not permit the
rational discussion that would treat the worst
threats first.

By defining the public health risks of indiscriminate
drug use as a "WAR", we set ourselves up for failure.
You don't win this as a war, you have to treat it as
a social phenomenon with long roots and a constant
future.  You don't wipe out an enemy, you understand
and deal with a multifaceted problem -- always
imperfectly, but always working on it.

Disincentives:

The "war on drugs" has resulted in one of the world's
highest incarceration rates, based on our total
population.  Incarceration as a disincentive is not
working.  For some young males, prison is a ticket to
three meals a day and a total immersion education in
anti-social behaviors.  People coming out of prison
after incarceration for offenses that are within the
norm for their subculture have little respect for an
uber-culture that (as they see it) has never accepted
them.

Seeing prison sentences as a disincentive has many drawbacks.

The education option will require a lot of work.
Ever since Ainsley went nuts on marijuana in the
'40s, government pronouncements about drug use have
been suspect.  To validate the information that is
presented to our youth, we will have to abandon scare
tactics and reclaim the high ground of truth -- and
this begins with dismantling the "war on drugs" and
the agencies that feed off it.

Right now, the best source of information about drug
use and its dangers is the Internet.  Unfortunately,
there is also a lot of junk there as well.  We could
use a social mechanism to review and validate the
credibility of the more useful sites.

Education must be differentiated from politics and
government agencies.

Urine testing for recipients of government money is
an interesting idea.  We would have to pair that
initiative with greater emphasis on prosecuting
theft and treating addiction as a disease, as theft
would be alternative source of money for the addicted,
and jail does not cure.

I wonder if legislators can cope with this sort of
problem?  If not they, then who?  Time to rethink the
problem and its possible solutions!

/Robert Skinner