[Rhodes22-list] (no subject)

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 8 22:36:52 EDT 2007

Dave,

I have a simple removable second SS frame down the centerline of my boat, slightly shorter than the boom and attached at the gooseneck, and use the mainsail when I want, often I do not.  Using the boom versus this frame puts the main out of action, and the genny, which supplies most of the sailing power on the boat anyway, becomes the only driving force.  No problema.

I just read an interesting exchange between skippers in a Catalina 27 fleet - should a sailor feel guilty for sailing under only headsail, no main?  The reaction was that many in the fleet do exactly that very often.  Not practical with a jib, very enjoyable with 150 or larger.

I picture that a 'slot' for viewing the mast would be side to side at some location and width (length) between the laz and cabin.  It could be open, covered with a clear or smoked window, or covered with a fabric/window combo.  Location might be governed by need for access to the furling lines, but simplicity is a good rule to follow.

Make better sense now?  Comprende vous?

Art