[Rhodes22-list] Political - Slim Bridges

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 02:31:44 EDT 2007

Brad,

Yes, there HAS to be political hay.  Bridges cost money and how much is
determined by the politicians.  The I35W bridge was built in the sixties
with sixties standards and there was no built-in redundancy which is code
today.  It's possible that no mistakes were made.  The bridge was inspected
annually and recommendations were made to improve it, but weight, lane
closers, resurfacing, etc. are all routine.  One theory is that is was
pigeon droppings, which are very corrosive to metal, in the box beams.
Could be.  Others say it's a "perfect storm" of several factors.  But no
matter what they find,
Gov. Pawlenty has done a complete about-face on his "No new taxes"
campaign.  Yeah, I know we're taxed to death here in MN and we've seen taxes
for a new ball park for the Twins, the arts, libraries and so on but I want
all those things too!  I'll gladly pay a couple more cents per gallon of gas
if I can be assured this won't happen again.  We pay high taxes here and
this a a great place to live!  Let's keep it great.

Slim