[Rhodes22-list] Bosun's Chair

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 14:09:25 EDT 2007

Hmm... hard to argue that.  Thx Slim.  This bosun's chair without a halyard
idea isn't panning out.  One of the other Seattle R22 owners has volunteered
to let me use his mast crane if I do need to work on the antenna.

I'm sure I can find some easy(er) way to get as high as the spreader arm.
My other project is to mount a block so I can raise a radar reflector --
necessary item for Puget Sound with lots of commercial traffic and
possibility of quick fog.

Dave

On 8/9/07, Steven Alm <stevenalm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> You said your antenna is loose.  If it's still working then no need to
> "fix"
> it.
> Re the Windex--skip it.  Tie some old cassette tape to the upper shrouds
> six
> feet off the deck and save your neck from craning up to the masthead every
> few seconds.  The telltales on the shrouds are just as good and they're
> right in your line of sight.
>
> I just think the bosun's chair is unnecessarily dangerous.  Are your
> antenna
> and Windex worth a broken back?
>
> Slim
>
> On 8/10/07, David Bradley <dwbrad at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Slim, because I planned to leave my boat in the water all year I did not
> > buy
> > the mast crane or a trailer.  I should probably buy the crane just to
> have
> > it when I need it.
> >
> > Reason is to fix VHF antenna and install windex at mast head.  And to
> > check
> > hardware while I'm there.
> >
> > The equipment to climb the mast is turning out to be a pretty steep
> > expense
> > as well.  And a bit daunting.  I may see if one of the shipyards has a
> way
> > to access the mast head.  I noticed in a visit to the Seattle Yacht Club
> > that they had a cherry picker on the dock for just that purpose.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > On 8/9/07, Steven Alm <stevenalm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Dave,
> > >
> > > What do you want to do in your bosun's chair?  Why do you want
> > that?  With
> > > the mast crane system so easy to use if you need to access the mast
> > head,
> > > can't think of any reason why you would need to go aloft.
> > >
> > > Slim

> --

> > halyards.

> the