[Rhodes22-list] Limit of Positive Stability

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 14:17:22 EDT 2007

Rob, John, thanks.

The example I saw was for a boat with 120 degree LPS, which would mean that
if the boat were to roll past 90 degrees, i.e., have the mast partially
submerged, it would roll and stay inverted.  I wonder if the flared hull
combined with floation makes it impossible for our boat to fully invert?

Dave

On 8/10/07, Rob Lowe <rlowe at vt.edu> wrote:

> Dave,
> I don't believe it's applicable to our boats.  I believe the only mention
> that I can recall (from being on this list) of a R22 being flipped was by
> hurricane.  The only reason it remained flipped was because the mast was
> stuck in the mud which prevented her from righting.  Several incidences of
> taking on water, but no turtling.  If anyone would turtle, it would be
> Rummy,  and he's still with us. - rob

David Bradley
+1.206.225.7793
dwbrad at gmail.com