[Rhodes22-list] Bosun's Chair - careening

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Fri Aug 10 22:49:45 EDT 2007

Combining thoughts from several posts and some history
of careening boats:

1.  Get the boat between a dock and a tree, piling, etc.
and secure the main hatch - watertight.  Close all ports.

2.  Secure the boat to the tree, etc. with two lines of
equal length, one to the bow eye and the other to a
stern eye.

3.  Using the topping lift, pull the mast over toward
the dock, and secure it to the dock so that the top of
the mast is 6-8 feet above the surface of the dock.
Stop at this point to avoid shipping water into the
cockpit.

4.  Use a ladder on the dock to access the top of the
mast.

Might be quick and easy.  Might want to secure objects
in the cabin before this exercise.  Certainly reduces
risk, and it would certainly be a conversation piece.

Stress on topping lift:  700 lbs of ballast at 2' =
1400 ft lbs of torque affecting initial stability.
Worst case is 3000 lbs acting at 5' when the boat is on
beam's end = 15,000 ft lbs of torque.  15,000 ft lbs
/ 30' of mast = < 500 lbs.  Looks like 3 grown men
could pull the boat over.  Also seems to be within the
working limits of the average topping lift.

YMMV.  I have not tried this on a Rhodes 22.

/Robert