[Rhodes22-list] The Recreational Boating Act of 2007 (H.R. 2550)

Philip 3drecon at comcast.net
Sat Aug 11 08:46:57 EDT 2007

I have included a letter I wrote to my congressman here in Virginia.  The
letter narrative explains the whole thing.  Everyone who sails or intends to
sail may want to take note and contact their representative.

On July 23, 2007, BoatUS released a notice to its members and the general
public.  BoatUS wrote that for 34 years, the US Environmental Protection
Agency (EPA) exempted recreational boat discharges from the Clean Water Act
permit system.  Recently, however, a  lawsuit seeking to address ballast
water discharges from large ocean-going ships (discharges that can introduce
damaging aquatic invasive species into US waters) has the unintended
consequence of eliminating the exemption for recreational boats.
    A court ruling cancelled the recreation boat exemption and will extend a
complex permitting system, designed for industrial dischargers, to
recreational boats, by September 30, 2008.  While this action may provide
insignificant environmental benefits, it will do so at a very high cost.
Requiring recreational boaters to purchase a permit would not prevent the
spread of invasive species.
Recreational Boaters need the exemption reinstated for recreational boats.
The Recreational Boating Act of 2007 (H.R. 2550), introduced by
Representatives Gene Taylor (D-Miss) and Candice Miller (R-Mich), would
protect recreational boats from being swept into this unnecessary and
expensive permitting system.  I am asking that you support H.R. 2550, to
protect our recreational boat from
further expansive federal regulations.  Please co-sponsor or support H.R.
2550.

Philip

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution
which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence,
the money of their constituents...."  - James Madison