[Rhodes22-list] Sailing at 104!

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Sun Aug 12 14:06:10 EDT 2007

Degrees not years... although I hope to do both :-)

Usually when the temps get over 90 or so, we don't have much
wind.  But a shift of the high pressure ridge to the west yesterday
brought northerly winds without relieving the temps.

So, we packed up the cooler and headed out for an evening dinner
sail.  Our course was also to the north, so we tacked  back and forth
alternating between almost 4kts or rock-n-roll on the wakes going nowhere.

It was like sailing into a hair dryer, but definitely preferable to
the yard work that went undone.  After a 2-hour sail, we found a
quiet cove and anchored for sunset.  We cooled off with a swim (more
like a float) and enjoyed a great fried chicken dinner on that nifty
cockpit table (bless you Stan!)

As we were cleaning up, the wind did a 180 shift around from the
south for the trip back.  As it was getting late and the crazies were
still out, we elected to motor back rather than another 2-hour beat
in the dark to get home.  No matter, it still beat doing the yard work.

Cheers!

John Lock